OXO's Recipe Book: A-E
Download some great recipes for your bake sale below!
Michelle's Challah Knots
- 4 cups warm water (105 - 115°F)
- 6 envelopes dry yeast
- 2 cups and 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 lbs bread flour
- 1 ½ tbsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or canola oil
- Cinnamon sugar, chocolate chips or raisins(for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Combine warm water (105 – 115°F) with dry yeast and 1tbsp sugar in an oven safe bowl.
- Open the oven door and place the bowl on the door. Leave for 10 minutes. Small bubbles should form on the top. (If there are no bubbles, the yeast didn’t proof. Start over.)
- Meanwhile, put 5 lbs of bread flour in a LARGE bowl. Remove 2 cups of the flour and save for later use.
- Add 2 cups of sugar and 1 ½ tbsp salt and combine well.
- Push the flour mixture to the sides of the bowl to leave a well in the middle.
- Pour 3 eggs and 1 ½ cups vegetable or canola oil into the well.
- Carefully pour the warm water and yeast mixture into the well.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until you can’t stir any more. Then knead with your hands until well combined. If the dough is sticky, add some more flour. The dough should be springy, not sticky.
- Brush a thin coat of oil over the top of the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and then place a dish towel over the bowl.
- Let rise, preferably not in a cool drafty room, the warmer the better, for 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down and knead the dough a bit.
- Break off a piece of dough and roll it into a “snake.”
- Flatten the snake. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar (and/or chocolate chips, raisins, etc.) along the length of the snake. Fold in half lengthwise. Then tie the filled snake into a knot.
- Place knots on prepared baking sheet, not too close together because they will grow.
- Brush knots with 1 beaten egg.
- Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar on each knot.
- Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes until golden brown. Knots are done when they sound hollow when you tap them on the bottom.
- Makes 30 knots. They do freeze well.
Michelle's Coffee Cake
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 cup cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with soy milk, almond and vanilla. Beat well.
- Pour 1/2 of batter into greased 9x12 or tube pan.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of topping.
- Cover with remaining batter, then remaining topping.
- Bake 30-45 minutes for 9x12 pan, about an hour for tube pan. A Cake Tester should come out mostly clean but a few moist crumbs are ok.